What is all the buzz about: Positive Mental Attitude
During these times of uncertainty when watching the news can change your mood in a matter of seconds, we focus on a behaviour or, for some, a personality trait which can help change daily outcomes.
A Maya Angelou quote - “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”
When you choose positivity as your attitude, you select an attitude far more destined for resilience. This is key to increasing the chance of success in all areas of life, as well as being happier all round. People with a more positive mental attitude are looked up to and others want to spend time with them. We all have that friend who gets you down within minutes of spending time together, and the other one who lifts the mood and exudes joy!
Positive mental attitude is the philosophy which states that having an optimistic position in every situation in one's life attracts positive changes and increases achievement. People who practice this state of mind seek, find and execute ways to win, or find desirable outcomes, regardless of the circumstances. This concept is the opposite of negativity and hopelessness.
Optimism and hope are vital to the development of PMA, and it is considered an internal focus of control that influences external factors. Research has shown that through emotional intelligence training and positive ways of thinking, a person's attitudes and perceptions can be modified to improve one's personal and professional life.
Studies in Sport and Health
Studies have indicated that a key component separating teams into winners or losers is their ability to develop mental characteristics and mental skills. Among these were mental toughness, confidence, maintaining a positive attitude, dealing with failure, expectations, and positive self-talk. With health, there have also been many studies demonstrating the benefits of the power of a positive mental attitude and evidence has shown it can help lower stress levels and improve health generally.
Steps to develop a Positive Mental Attitude
- Focus on the present – don’t dwell on the past or focus too much on the future. You are how you are now!
- Use positive language – replace negative thoughts with positive ones and you will start having positive results. This is easier said than done, but stick with it!
- Accept things are not perfect – things will not always go the way you hoped – but most things pass with time, so take a long term perspective. Mix with Positive People – people tend to mimic and conform to a social code and you are very much influenced by the ten people you interact with most in your life. Chose them carefully.
- Contribute in a meaningful way – for example volunteering can change your outlook, or even just offering to help your neighbour or your partner.
- Keep Learning – your brain will react positively to this and will remain active and alert.
- Be Grateful – being thankful for what you have rather than thinking about what you do not have underpins a positive mental attitude.
We wish you all the best of luck in improving your mental well-being and achieving a positive mental attitude!
Get in touch
Get in touch to find out more about our vacancies, roles or how we can help bring the best talent to your business.